Taking Xanax for anxiety or any other health issues can help tremendously in the road to recovery, particularly if you aware of the forms and dosages in which the drug is available. Knowing about the forms and dosages of Xanax can be beneficial in many ways. For one, you would know the drug better and this would help you take it in the most effective manner. Also, if the price of a particular dosage is more feasible for you, you can then check with your healthcare provider to see if the preferred form or dosage of Xanax can be prescribed for you. Also, having information on the different available Xanax pills will enable ensuring that the medication you receive is the authentic one that is of the best quality. Xanax is an important prescription medication that can be taken in the most effective way if you get to know more about the drug.
Xanax forms and dosages
Each Xanax pill contains the active ingredient Alprazolam. The drug is primarily available in the form of immediate release compressed tablets. Xanax is available in the dosage strengths of 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg, each containing the equivalent amount of Alprazolam. Each Xanax tablet is scored in the middle so that it can be split if required. Only the 2mg Xanax pill has four scored lines that make it very easy to split the drug according to the dosage strength that will help best in overcoming the symptoms, whether severe or mild. The different dosages come in various colors that make them easily identifiable.
Xanax 0.25mg – White oval shaped pill
Xanax 0.5mg – Orange oval shaped pill
Xanax 1mg – Blue oval shaped pill
Xanax 2mg – White or green rectangular bar
Based on the severity of the condition being treated, Xanax is usually prescribed in the lowest dosage strength, and then titrated to higher till the most effective dose is found. These are the commonly available forms of Xanax that are highly potent in treating the anxiety symptoms. The effectiveness of the drug depends on the prescribed dosage strength. Take Xanax as directed by the doctor and almost surely there will be an improvement in symptoms.
Important Xanax dosing information
Simply learning about the multiple Xanax forms and dosage strengths is insufficient, and you should also know how to safely take the medication. Keep in mind the following information for the safe use of Xanax:
- Avoid taking this drug if you are allergic to Alprazolam.
- Inform the prescribing physician if you have any psychological problems, underlying health conditions, or currently taking any other medications or issues like history of drug abuse. All these can affect the way you respond to the Xanax therapy.
- If prescribed to take the anxiety medication, do not increase the dosage on your own even if you develop tolerance. The doctor will prescribe the higher dose or switch your prescription to some other drug accordingly.
- Never stop taking Xanax abruptly. You can avert the occurrence of withdrawal symptoms by tapering the doses and then stopping the drug.
- Take the Xanax pill as a whole without crushing, chewing or delivering it through any other method like snorting or injecting. Abusive use of Xanax can increase the risk of side effects and possibility of drug overdose too.
Use these guidelines to make taking Xanax in the most efficient way possible.