What is Accutane Generic (Isotretinoin)
Accutane Generic is the trade name of the Isotretinoin drug, also referred to as 13-cis retinoic acid. It is related to Vitamin A and can be administered orally or topically, with the oral being the more popular route. Isotretinoin is seen as an effective drug to treat severe acne that has shown no signs of disappearing despite administration of several antibiotics, creams and drying agents. In addition to treating acne, doctors often prescribe people to buy Accutane Generic to prevent certain types of cancers, especially squamous-cell carcinoma. Lamellar ichthyosis and lethal skin diseases like harlequin-type ichthyosis are also treated using this medication. Accutane is used only in the severest of cases.
Dosage Instructions for Accutane
- Accutane tablets shouldn’t be broken or chewed.
- Powdering of the medication is also not advised. Accutane should be swallowed with a large glass of water and care should be taken that medicine doesn’t get dissolved in the good pipe, which might lead to irritation.
- If the acne doesn’t disappear, the patients shouldn’t take in more Accutane tablets or stop it all of a sudden, without consulting a doctor first.
- Double dosing of Accutane needs to be avoided, even if a dosage is missed, as it might lead to overdosing. The physician would recommend the right dosage based on the state of the health and severity of their skin problem.
Precautions to take before using Accutane
- Individuals who are used to developing allergic reactions to any ingredient found in Accutane and other similar drugs must refrain from using the pill.
- Other vitamin A-type medicines must not be taken when you are taking Isotretinoin, as they can together create some adverse effects.
- People with a history of mental illness, mainly depression, must be more cautious when using Accutane. Patients with diabetes, liver diseases, intestinal disorder, bone related problems, breathing problems like asthma, high cholesterol and heart disease must make their condition known to the doctor before buying Accutane.
- Accutane can impact hearing and therefore individuals with a history of hearing problems must state about it to their physician before taking Accutane Generic.
Accutane during Pregnancy
Pregnant women are advised not to take Accutane and people who are looking to get pregnant would also have to wait till the dosage cycle ends. Accutane has the potential to harm the unborn child, leading to heart and brain related problems. Regular pregnancy tests are done to patients consuming Accutane and some are even prescribed certain birth control medications. If a child is conceived during the course of the medication, abortion is advised, considering the health problems the child might face after being born. Blood donation is also prohibited at least for thirty days after finishing the dosage cycle. Breast feeding women need to be cautious as well, despite Accutane not known to get transferred through breast milk to the baby.
Accutane Drug Interactions
- Tetracyclines like doxycycline can interact with Accutane and increase pressure in the brain.
- The effectiveness of Progestin-only birth control medicines might be lessened by Accutane. The side effects of Isotretinoin can be amplified by certain Vitamin A-type medications like Etretinate.
- Hormonal contraceptives can fail when Isotretinoin interacts with St. John’s Wort. Many more interactions are possible and the doctor is the best person to get a detailed report from.
Discussion of the patient’s medical history with the doctor before Accutane is taken is mandatory. Several ingredients present in the pill that aren’t very active, can still interact with the other medications consumed by the patient, leading to complications of unexpected sort. Isotretinoin is known for interacting with many types of medications as well.
Side Effects of Accutane
Accutane is a powerful medicine which naturally comes with a few side effects.
- Body stiffness,
- Stomach ache,
- Crying spells,
- Blurred vision,
- Purple spots on the skin,
- Dark urine,
- Blood colored stool,
- Hearing problems and
- Sleep deprivation
The above discussed are some commonly reported side effects of Accutane.
- Itchy rashes,
- Back pain,
- Dry lips, and
- Changes in the appearance of toe nails and finger nails have also been observed at instances.
The patients displaying such side effects must consult a doctor right away, before further complications arise.