Prilosec is a medication recommended for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) triggered as a result of excessive stomach acid secretion. Prilosec is also known by its generic name Omeprazole. It works by obstructing the proton pump that plays a crucial role in the production of acid in the stomach. Erosive esophagitis, a medical condition wherein the esophagus gets affected because of an upsurge in stomach acid formation can be contained through Prilosec. People can buy Prilosec Generic online for quick delivery and hassle free shopping. This pill comes as a delayed-release capsule for oral administration.
Other Medical Conditions treated by Prilosec
Apart from treating Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Prilosec can treat peptic ulcers and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. By administering along with antibiotics, gastric ulcer can be treated effectively. The medicinal ingredient with major proportion in Prilosec is Omeprazole Magnesium.
How to consume Prilosec?
- Prilosec should be consumed an hour prior to the consumption of the meal. The pill should be consumed once in 24 hours, which means only one dose is allowed per day.
- The duration of the course of therapy with Prilosec can be for 14 days.
- Most preferably, consume Prilosec during the morning time right before having the breakfast. The initial effects of the therapy can be felt in the body only after four days.
- The dose should be taken for the entire period of time as prescribed by the doctor. Being under the course of therapy with Prilosec for more than three years leads to deficiency in Vitamin B-12.
- There are certain medical conditions for which this pill should be consumed along with other medicines. Hence consultation with a doctor is highly necessary.
- Keep Prilosec away from moisture and heat. Ensure that the pill is stored only at room temperature.
What to do if I Missed a Dose of Prilosec
Make every effort to take the missed dose at the earliest possible time the moment you get to remember about it. Don’t take double doses to compensate for the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose Prilosec?
See to it that you don’t take any additional pill. Overconsumption of the pill leads to unwanted medical complications and can damage the health of a person.
Prilosec Drug Interactions
Below are the drugs that mainly interact with Prilosec. To get a clear picture, individuals should consult the doctor and ascertain whether the drugs which they are currently consuming undergo interaction with Prilosec or not.
- St. John’s Wort
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Antibiotics like amoxicillin, rifampin, clarithromycin and ampicillin
- Few HIV medications
Precautionary Information about Prilosec
- Never take Prilosec if you have an allergy to the generic drug of Prilosec namely omeprazole. This pill doesn’t offer reprieve from symptoms related to heartburn.
- Immediate medical attention should be sought at instance of chest pain, shoulder pain, sweating and nauseating.
- People with low magnesium count in blood, liver ailments, and osteoporosis should check with their doctors before buying Prilosec.
- Precautions about the safety of consuming the pill have to be checked with doctor and then go about in ordering Prilosec.
- Individuals experiencing heartburn symptoms, sudden weight loss, and stomach pain should not take Prilosec without the doctor’s consent.
- There is an increased possibility of acid reflux medications causing fracture of a bone in the spine, wrist, and hip. Perhaps, people who are above the age of 50 and those who have consumed Prilosec for a prolonged period of time are most likely to experience a bone fracture. The exact dose that triggers this medical ailment is not known clearly.
- Undergoing medical examination whilst consuming Prilosec should be avoided, as the actual results can’t be ascertained.
Side Effects of Prilosec (generic)
Consumption of Prilosec triggers certain side effects in the body. They are
- Development of hives
- Watery diarrhea
- Urination difficulties
- Fluctuation in heart beat
- Tremors in muscles
- Intense cough
- Muscle spasms
- Pain in stomach and acidity problems